Thursday, July 16, 2015

Day 1 of Retraining

As some of you might know, Cash was trained in a way that causes fear in him with certain commands and he rarely looks up at you. Now that he is eating solid food, I started retraining him to reassociate the negative associations with positive ones. I started with sit and just attention. With sit, I tried using the verbal and hand signal together and then moving the food away from him as a type of 'reset,' but he must have been trained not to follow the food. I had to call him to come to me in order to get him to stand up if the command stand wouldn't work. (His ability to listen to commands comes and goes). I realized that in order to go any further with his retraining, we needed to focus on attention and associating him being an equal with me. I started with every time he looked up at me, I'd click and treat. Much like the focus problems of a puppy, he was not looking at me--in his case, he didn't feel comfortable looking up at people--almost in shame. It was similar to the two times he threw up and looked at me like I was about to hit him. I gave him a good head scratch and snuggle that time. I will most likely try to start with that next time and continue to reassociate the skills he knows with good thoughts. 

Training Thornwald taught me so much about taking care of dogs and what  capable of as a person. Cash needs me and he's capable of great things. I'm thinking that he'd be a great therapy dog for retirement homes once he reassociate said training. He smart, sweet, and lovable. 

No comments:

Post a Comment