Saturday, August 15, 2015

Product Comparisons: Hands Free Leashes

Product Comparisons: Hands Free Leashes

Outward Hound Hands Free Hipster Dog Leash Storage Accessory 5ft Leash Included

When I first got this Hands Free Hipster, I found it to be quite useful for walks, but as I started to take Thornwald out to stores, I found that I did need something that was not as uncomfortable. The product's pockets are hard to use and with clicker training, the pockets weren't in the right location nor were they the right size for treats. The leash that was included was an average leash, but with a larger dog, it was not a very strong leash. I liked that the leash was a dual clip leash that allowed me to clip it to any belt. I used the leash more than I actually used the hipster.

Ruffwear Roamer Leash

This was my most recent product and I wish I would have know that they also sell ones that do not extend. I found this in a hiking/outdoors store so the product was stronger than the other two options. At the bottom of the leash is a traffic handle so that I can walk Cash into a crowded area without worrying about him running off. With him training in public, I wish there was a D-Clip to keep the traffic leash short if I need to hold something at the same time as needing the leash shorter. I've been considering some options, but it would have been a nice feature. 


PetSafe Pet Hands Free Leash, Black

This was the first option that I had found and bought. I had connected my treat bag to the belt and used this for quite a while. It's a basic product that does what it says it is supposed to, but it is not an extremely strong product--If your dog does not stay nearby you through training, he might try to run off and you will most likely go with the leash. If it's a larger dog, he might be able to break the leash if he tried hard enough. For dog leashes, it's rather flimsy. It did work for Thornwald when he was a young service dog in training, but a larger dog might require a sturdier option. 



Overall, I found that each of these options did what they were supposed to do--free up your hands when walking your dog (or in my case, when I was shopping), but I find that the Ruffwear product is far superior to any other hands-free product that I have seen. The actually leash part is strong and durable--and multipurpose! The clasps on the hip clips and also for the dog clip are far sturdier than most that I see at pet stores. If you are looking for quality, durability, and longevity, I'd suggest their leash over the two other choices.

I bought the product at Eastern Mountain Sports, but they have the entire range of leashes on Amazon. I definitely suggest looking at the flat ones as well and looking at the many colors they have for each leash!


No comments:

Post a Comment