Thursday, November 23, 2017

There Is No Such Thing As A Free Dog--Can You Afford a Dog?

I often see people and organizations paying the adoption fees for shelters to encourage people to adopt, but that is not always the best solution. Adoption is not cheap. Yes, it is cheaper than buying a dog from a breeder. BUT there are a lot of other expenses that are not included in the adoption fee.

What am I talking about? First, there is often a lot of paperwork to be done when you adopt a dog--even after the adoption process is over. You need to buy a license. I personally bought a lifetime license and that was $31.50. (It is $8.50/year in Pennsylvania. If you live in an apartment, you might even need to pay a dog fee and also a monthly rent increase. Second, you will need supplies for the dog. I did not have a crate so I bought a crate. I do not remember the exact amount, but it was at least $60-$70 (It was probably closer to $100). I had toys, a collar, a leash, a bed, bowls, and other dog items so I didn't have to buy any of those items. Those items could run you $50-$200 (depending on how much you want to spend). And don't forget food! Dog food can be expensive. I would never recommend a cheap brand like Iams (The food is terrible for your dog). Buying good dog food for your dog can cost $40-$100 a month (depending on the size of your dog). Finally, there could be some unexpected medical costs. Cash had a free first medical exam, but he had to go back. He was underweight and wouldn't eat. I had to buy special food for him. He also had skin problems which I cleared with tea tree oil. Now, if you're lucky, your dog won't have any medical issues now, but there is not guarantee that your dog won't get sick later. You always need at least $200-$300 for emergency vet visits (and that number is the least amount you might need).

So how expensive is your FREE adopted dog?

Lifetime License- $8.50-$31.50
Dog Items- $150 (tiny dog)-$370 (large dog)
Emergency Medical Money- $200-$300
Money Needed Besides Adoption Costs: $358.50-$701.50 + any apartment fees

I really do believe in adopting dogs. I just want you to understand that a free dog is never really free. Don't adopt a dog on a whim without being able to support them.

No comments:

Post a Comment