Tuesday, November 7, 2017

Dealing With My Dog's Health Problems

From the moment I adopted Cash--It's been difficult dealing with his numerous health problems. They are not serious, but they do affect our day to day life. (I will link to his adoption story below) His problems consist of his digestion system and his skin (mostly). The shelter I adopted him from did not take care of him very well even though he had serious problems. Due to this, many of his problems were exasperated at his adoption time.

His digestion system problem started before we adopted him. He could not eat solid food or a whole serving. He would often throw up entire meals. Due to these difficulties, I started tracking all of his symptoms from bowels to his vomit. It helped me better understand what was working and what wasn't. Finally, after many visits, I realized that my vet was only helping Cash short term and I needed to find a long-term solution. I switched Cash's food to a higher quality dog food and started him on probiotics. Cash had been prescribed probiotics from his vet for short term, but I then asked the vet and he told me that I could try them long term. That was the key! All of a sudden, Cash was only vomiting once and a while instead of at least once a week. And he's been on probiotics for over six months and he goes a month at least between vomiting. (The change in his digestion system was gradual, but it has been life changing nevertheless) When he does throw up now, it is only a little stomach acid instead of an entire meal. I also give him a tablespoon of pumpkin (no more than once a day) to keep his bowels running smoothly. This is a dramatic change for him and I do not regret the hours of research I did for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment